Proposal to create new incorporated PTF
Since 2013, the current Parents, Teachers and Friends (PTF) of IGS has operated as an unincorporated body under its own Constitution. The PTF Committee has now made an in-principle decision to incorporate a new, not-for-profit body under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW), to be called the IGS Parents’ and Carers’ Association Inc (P&C).
The main purpose of incorporating is to:
- establish a better governance structure
- limit the liability of its members, and
- obtain insurance.
The new Constitution for the P&C has been drafted based on the “model rules” for an association under the Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW).
The main changes are:
- The new body will be for parents, carers, grandparents and kin (for Indigenous students), rather than the current membership of “parents, teachers and friends”.
- Unlike the current PTF where parents and families automatically become members of the PTF when they pay their annual membership fee of $20 (this has been levied by the School on families along with the first invoice for school fees each year), the new P&C will require parents and carers to apply for membership by completing a simple membership form and paying a $30 annual membership fee. This will be an important move away from passive to active membership.
- People can still volunteer to assist the new P&C without needing to become a member, although P&C Class Reps will need to join in order to obtain the support of the P&C for activities.
- Each IGS family will be entitled to register up to four parents or carers as members.
- The School will no longer levy the annual PTF membership fee of $20 on families.
- Committee members will now be elected for three-year terms, instead of annually.
- A new First Nations’ Committee member position will be established.
Once the new P&C is incorporated, it is proposed to wind up the old PTF in early 2024 and to transfer any money, assets and liabilities to the new P&C.
To see the draft constitution for the new P&C, please click here.
Please send any comments you may have by email to the PTF at firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 November 2023.
Traffic ‘drive-by’ signs
We ask all IGS parents and carers to display their child’s name sign when using the IGS Drive-By Service after school.
Funds for producing one sign per primary child are provided by the PTF. If you require extra copies of your name sign for other carers using the Drive-By Service, please photocopy your name sign. Alternatively, to order additional professionally printed signs at a cost of $5 per sign, please email purchase online via the PTF store with your child(ren)’s name(s) and the number of extra signs required.
Your cooperation with staff on Drive-By Service duty is greatly appreciated.